- I taught special education for over eleven years until the severity of my mental illness symptoms became too severe for me to teach anymore. I loved teaching special education and used to say I got paid to give love because essentially that was what I did. God blessed me with a great big, caring, compassionate heart. I love helping people and it has always been my passion to help others in anyway I can.
- I have been very blessed to have three (actually now five) of the most amazing, fabulous and beautiful children in the world. They are and will always be my greatest blessings and treasures in my life. They have saved my life many times and continue to save my life every day. I tried to be the best mom I could and praised them often and loved them always. I am very proud of all my children for everything they have done, continue to do and who they are as people. I am so blessed. My oldest daughter, Kylie, is 26 and is married to my son-in-love Dennis that I love very much, as well. My son, Keagan, is 24 and is married to my daughter-in-love Brooke that I also love very much. My youngest daughter, Alexia, is 18 years old and is a freshman at the University of Minnesota. I am a single mom, but I have enjoyed that because I got to raise and love my children just the way I wanted.
- I have attempted suicide numerous times, engaged in self-injurious behaviors, have had numerous stays in the psychiatric hospital, stayed in half-way houses a few times when I was first diagnosed, had over 150 ECTs (Electro-convulsive Therapy treatments), have been homeless for over three months and then I chose to fight for my life and I survived and continue to thrive. I am now enjoying the beauty of living.
- God saved my life many times. He has always been with me and by my side whether I knew it or felt His presence or not. I know now that he has been with me throughout my entire journey and all of the many struggles and obstacles I faced and had to overcome, holding my hand and catching all my tears every step of the way. I praise God for my every breath of life and my many blessings he has given me. God is good all the time! Thank you God for my life.
Romans 5:3-5 “we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance, character and hope. God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.”
Romans 8:18 “I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.”
- I have given many presentations to share my story, increase awareness and educate about mental illness, reduce the stigma of mental illness and reduce the stigma associated with suicide, prevent suicides and prayerfully inspire others. I have given presentations at a local University, spoken as a certified NAMI presenter and spoke to police officers and social workers for their Crisis Intervention Training. I have also been interviewed by our local newspaper and news station to share my story. I want to be a voice for the many people who cannot speak for themselves.
- I want to speak and give more presentations and will give presentations at your requests. Please let me know if you are interested in having me give a presentation for you. Please complete my contact page. Thank you very much.
- Lastly, I am in the process of finishing my memoir. My story will also include some journal entries I saved for over 25 years as I feel it is impossible for me to write exactly the way I felt during my darkest hours after my light is shining brightly. I pray my book will turn out well and will inspire and help others in many important and beneficial ways. I will let you know when my memoir is finished, what the title is and how you can order it and/or buy it as soon as it is finished.
I pray you will enjoy my blog and I will be able to help and inspire you in many ways. Please make comments and ask questions as often as you would like. I look forward to hearing from all of you.
Have a fabulous, happy and healthy day today and everyday.
May your cup of life oveflow with blessings today and everyday forever and always.
Love, hugs and blessings, Sue