I must polish
the only life
I have to live,
the only heart
I have to give.
The me I be
I must set free
from my pain
and my shame.
and begin to see
that there is hope
to love, live and cope
to the side.
We must confide
and do not hide.
*Please read the following statistics and facts about suicide. It is very important for all of us to understand and know the truth about suicide.
These statistics are alarming, scary and are a tragedy for all of us. Sadly, suicide touches and impacts the lives of way too many people.
Suicide adversely affects all us in many ways.
- Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States.
- Each year 44,193 Americans die by suicide
- For every suicide 25 people attempt suicide.
- Suicide costs the United States a total of 51 Billion dollars annually.
Additional Facts About Suicide in the United States
- The annual age-adjusted suicide rate is 13.26 per 100,000 individuals.
- Men die by suicide 3.5x more often than women.
- On average, there are 121 suicides per day!!!
- White males accounted for 7 of 10 suicides in 2015.
- Firearms account for almost 50% of all suicides.
- The rate of suicide is highest in middle age — white men in particular.
Suicide Rates by Age
- In 2015, the highest suicide rate (19.6) was among adults between 45 and 64 years of age.
- The second highest rate (19.4) occurred in those 85 years or older.
- Younger groups have had consistently lower suicide rates than middle-aged and older adults.
- In 2015, adolescents and young adults aged 15 to 24 had a suicide rate of 12.5%.
© 2017 American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. All rights reserved.)
Copyright © By Susan Walz and myloudbipolarwhispers.com – All written content and personal artwork is © myloudbipolarwhispers.com and Susan Walz. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author/owner/artist is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to My Loud Bipolar Whispers and/or Susan Walz with appropriate and specific directions to the original content. (With the exclusion of the suicide statistics and facts – © 2017 American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. All rights reserved.)